Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Finished it!

My friend's secret scrap quilt is completed and on it's way to her...it's a surprise so don't tell.
Here is a photo of the lap quilt I made.
Very colorful for me, wouldn't you say? 
I used an assortment of Batik strips cut from my (growing) stash of Batiks.
I too was amazed at just how many different fabrics I have collected.

What I started to do was to purchase 1/3 yard of some Batiks I thought were pretty and that I liked.
The 1/3 yard cut (for me) works better than a FQ or a 1/4 yard.  I have found that with collecting certain fabric lines getting that size offers me a good amount of fabric to work with in quilts or toppers that I want to make.

This quilt was quilted using a variegated Sulky #12wt. thread.  The thread colors were a perfect compliment to the fabrics.  I simple quilted through every other strip in a straight line.  Easy as can be!
Made with 1 1/2" strips.  Finished size 41" X 50".

The other thing I did was to put a label on the back.  Yes, I know that we should always do this but I must confess that this is the first time I have done this!  Shock throughout the nation!
Usually I simple stitch my initials and the date on a corner in the back but this time I actually made and attached a simple label.
When I started to stitch down the fourth side of this label a strong feeling of pride and accomplishment came over me.  I cannot explain it and it wasn't a sappy kind of a feeling...just felt good.
This isn't a prize winning quilt or anything. It is really cute and very cheery.  The label thing was about the label.  So perhaps there is more to adding a label to a quilt than just identifying the maker and date and some other things like perhaps the recipient and the occasion for which the quilt was made.
I don't know what it was - it just felt good!
So now, I will need to label my quilts from this point on.

I think my friend will like this little quilt!

Happy Spring!  Take time to watch the flowers grow!
Take time to sit and sew!
Colleen

2 comments:

Betty Lou said...

Your Jelly Roll Race quilt is the prettiest one I have seen. Like the batiks. I have thought about making one but didn't want to use one of my "good" jelly rolls but thought I would dive into that hugh stash of Thimbleberries that I accumulated 10 years ago. I see that you joined your strip at right angles, looks nice.

Colleen said...

Thank you Betty Lou! They are so much fun that I have made 4 of them since last year. Great for charity quilts too. This one I cut my strips at 1.5" instead on 2.5". I like it too!